Re: Alternator for a TD?

To: "Bob D." <bobmgtd@insightbb.com>
Subject: Re: Alternator for a TD?
From: Bud Krueger <budkrueger@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 13:42:28 -0500
Bob:

   Below is the text recently written by Barney Gaylord (MGAguru) in response
to a
similar situation regarding the installation of an alternator into an MG that
normally has a generator.
(Hope Barney doesn't mind)
*****************

Yup.  Someone is, and with good reason.  And since the question comes up
periodically, I'm investigating the possibility for the benefit of the
masses (or the few with an interest).

1.)  In certain vintage racing circles it is frowned upon (forbidden even)
to install an alternator on a car originally equipped with a generator.

2.)  In certain car show circles it is frowned upon (significantly
penalized even) to install an alternator on a car originally equipped with
a generator.

3.)  Some other people may simply like to keep the car looking original
while not being too abashed about "improving" a function when you might be
able to effectively hide the modified part from visibility.

4.)  Then there are more than a few of us who are just squeeky tight and
wouldn't necessarily want to spring for the cost of an alternator.  Total
lifetime cost of properly maintaining an existing generator will likely be
less than the initial purchase price of an alternator.  (And yes, I'm sure
there will be a few people who will enjoy arguing about that statement).

It has been my experience that generators in general are constitutionally
robust and reliable if given the proper periodic maintenance.  As long as
they put out enough power for your application, there may be no good
economic reason the change.  I believe the most common cause of failure of
a well maintained generator is a failed regulator, which is likely to cause
overcharging and meltdown of the armature in the generator.  I have had
that happen once myself, and have known a LARGE number of other people who
have encountered that same problem.

So there's the rub.  If a small one time investment in a (hopefully) more
reliable regulator can save the cost of replacing the generator just once
in the life of a car, this can be a very sound investment.  This is not
like spending $100 to replace a $4 set of ignition points.  This is
spending less than $30 to replace a $45 regulator.  The same question of
long term reliability of the electronic component may still exist, but
considering the track record of the original type Lucas regulators, this
one seems like a pretty good bet.  It may well save the future cost of
another regulator AND another generator.

My original concern with this concept was that a lot of people have been
talking about building your own electronic regulator, and I'm not at all
confident with the reliability of a do-it-yourself first-time electronics
project.  But given that this is a commercially available mass produced
electronic part (and maybe Bosch is a decent brand, even when made in
Mexico), the confidence of long term success seems more viable.  So for the
folks who do have on interest in this, I now have in itch to give it a test
run.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com