Re: Alternator for a TD?

To: "Bob D." <bobmgtd@insightbb.com>
Subject: Re: Alternator for a TD?
From: Dave & Liz DuBois <ddubois@sinclair.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 23:49:09 -0800
Bob,

Someone set up an alternator with an adapter on the back for the tach
drive, but I don't remember who it was. The problem that I see with an
alternator, is that they like a much higher rpm to produce the full
output.  The pulley on the alternator in my MGB is about half the
diameter as the one of the TD generator.  This means that there is going
to be a problem with the reading on the tachometer regardless of whether
or not you can adapt the tach drive gear box to the alternator.  Blake's
idea of using a MGB electric tach in the TD may be an option.  Both are
270 degree units, but the MGB has a full scale reading of 7000 rpm
whereas the TD only goes to 6000 rpm.  It may be possible to recalibrate
the electric tach for a full scale reading of 6000, but you would have
to find someone who could do that (if it is possible).  There should be
no problem fitting the tach face from the TD to the MGB tach and I don't
believe that the clock would interfere with the innards of the tach.
 Finally, the tach from an early MGB (64 - early 67) are positive ground.

With the above said, I agree with Charles Hill, why bother?  As Charles
said, unless you have put something on the car that requires a
tremendous amount of current, you would be ahead of the game to stay
with a generator. If you are concerned about the condition of the
generator, take it to a Lucas authorized auto electric shop and have it
overhauled.  If there is nothing in your area, I can do the overhaul,
but shipping would be added to the cost of the overhaul.  The other
thing that you can do to keep the generator in good condition is to use
the correct fan belt and keep it VERY loose.  If you have a belt from
Moss or Abingdon, take it off and throw it away, it will destroy your
generator.  Replace it with one of the belts specified in the attached
article and, again, keep it loose - 1 inch of slack between the
generator and the water pump.

Good luck,
Dave

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type application/msword which had a
name of Keep Your Belts Loose.doc]