Re: Alternator for a TD?

To: "Bob D." <bobmgtd@insightbb.com>
Subject: Re: Alternator for a TD?
From: Charles Hill <candahill@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 00:15:53 -0600
Bob, Unless you have done something to the car that will require the
higher output of an alternator, why bother?  Generators are pretty
reliable.  The main points of wear are the bushings and brushes.  A
couple of years ago, I had to have the bushings replaced in my TC's
generator.  Done in the local electrical shop for somewhere around $60.

The tach drive is only one of the problems you will need to overcome:

1. Drive pulley - You will need to adapt your generator pulley to the
alternator so you can keep the tach gear ratio - and the right drive
belt.

2. Regulator - It will need to be changed to work with the alternator -
or even bypassed for an alternator with an internal regulator.

3. Fit - Will an alternator fit under the TD bonnet?  It already has a
bubble in it for the generator and alternators generally are shorter but
larger diameter than generators.

Enought stuff for you to think about.  If you try it and it works, let
us know.

Regards,
Charles Hill