Re: Oil Leak

To: MG T Digest <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Oil Leak
From: "C. Knight" <cliffknight@ic24.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 00:28:36 +0000
Stuart Keen wrote:

> I'd appreciate some advice on fixing a front oil leak on a 1951 MGTD.

Stuart
The seal is held by the timing cover and the sump and runs on the boss
of the crankshaft pulley.  The original was a rope seal (still supplied
in the UK kits) that worked tolerably well.  The replacement lip seals
are narrower than the groove for the rope seal but not by enough that
you can fit 2 seals. Also the accuracy of the machining of the bottoms
of the grooves are such that the lip seal may not be gripped very well
in all cases.
To remove the old seal you will need to remove the radiator, unscrew the
starting handle dog, pull off the crank pulley, disconnect the clutch
mechanism and drop the sump, and remove the timing cover. It is all
covered in the Maintenance Manual (If you haven't got one I could copy
the appropriate sections and e-mail - but reprints are available and
well worth having)
When fitting the new seal, assuming you stick with the modern lip seal,
check that it is gripped between the sump and timing cover, with the
sump gasket in place before you fit everything back to the engine. If it
is loose make up a very thin shim. The gap in the groove should be
sealed with a good gasket sealant such as Hylomar in such a way that oil
cannot leak behind the seal. i.e. bed the seal (and shim?) well into the
sealant. Probably an even better solution would be a purpose made spacer
+ sealant, but I have never had any problems with any of the proprietary
gasket sealants. It goes without saying that the lip of the seal should
face inwards, and the sealing face of the pulley should be smooth and
clean.
Best of luck
Cliff