RE: Oil Leak

To: "'Stuart Keen'" <simbafish@home.com>,
Subject: RE: Oil Leak
From: "Lew Palmer" <lpalmer@mn.mediaone.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 18:14:13 -0600
Stu,

It's entirely possible that your oil leak is fairly simply and easily
solved.

The original seal used an asbestos-impregnated rope. A length was placed in
the groove in the oil pan and another in the timing chain cover. This rope
seal is still available if you want to use it. Go to a well-stocked auto
parts store and ask for the rope seal used in Chevy 350 engines. I believed
it was used in the rear seal of those engines. If pressed, I could possibly
supply a NAPA part number.

The Moss seal is simply a standard neoprene seal much like those used around
wheel bearings. However, it is a certain dimension to snugly fit the opening
and the crankshaft.

To replace this seal, drop the oil pan, at least enough that the front of
the pan hangs free of the crank. You'll also have to remove the crank
pulley, but not the oil slinger. Then remove the timing chain cover.
Once this is all exposed, check the sealing surface of the crank where it
rides on the seal. This should be clean and smooth. You don't want the
surface to chew up the new seal. If this is not smooth, but worn with
roughness or grooves, better to use the rope seal. If it's really bad, some
work is necessary on the crank.

Once everything is clean, fill the grooves (where the old seal came out) in
the pan and chain cover with a good high temperature silicone sealant (RTV
works well). Then put a smear of grease around the inside of the new seal,
slip it onto the crank nose piece, and then seat it by replacing the pan and
chain cover. Tighten everything back down, replace the crank pulley and dog
nut, and let the silicone set up. You're done!

Yes, the seal is not as thick as the place it is inserted in. That's why you
have to get some silicone around the grooves. The silicone holds it in place
and ensures an oil tight fit.

This seal works if done carefully, the crank is clean and burr-free, and you
don't mind spending the dollars. If you have the old Moss seal, you can find
a replacement at most bearing shops for a fraction of the price.

I find that the old rope seal works just as well, as long as you don't trim
the ends flush with the opening, but leave about an eighth inch of the rope
standing proud of the pan and chain cover on each side. This provides a bit
of "crush" to ensure a better seal. The problem that most folks have with
the old rope seal is that it is - well, - OLD. Like gaskets, they can become
old and dried out and simply lose their shape and their ability to seal.

Good luck, and let me know if you need that NAPA part number.

Regards,
Lew Palmer