Oil Leak

To: MG T Digest <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oil Leak
From: Stuart Keen <simbafish@home.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 16:38:29 -0500
I'd appreciate some advice on fixing a front oil leak on a 1951 MGTD.

I've been going through a qt of oil every 1000 miles. Though this
concerned me, everyone said not to worry, that this was "normal" for a
TD (actually in print in an old Road & Track). A couple weeks ago I went
to the Everglades; my consumption was much worse, about 1 qt for every
400 miles. Since I don't see any noticeable smoke in the exhaust, I
figure I must be loosing it elsewhere.

>From paper under the engine, I have known in the past that I was loosing
a little oil from the front bearing.  With the car just sitting in the
garage, just a little oil would be found the following morning.

But I definitely erred when I said "a little" from the front bearing.
This morning I idled the TD until the oil was warm. Then I saw actual
drops falling. With the oil just warm, not hot, it was dropping from two
places around the front seal area, both at 8 second intervals.

Now I AM worried. I'm afraid sometime in the near future it may just
gush out. The guy that rebuilt my engine a year ago said the seal I
supplied from Moss was about half the width of the grove that it slid
into. Now I must seal the front  CORRECTLY.

My question is: How much trouble is it to get to the front seal? I
understand that it is under the timing chain cover, but what are the
items that much be removed to get at the seal? Is this something a
garage should do?

And once the seal is exposed, what is the best technique for making a
good front seal so I have no more leaks?  What about putting in TWO Moss
seals? I think the grove may be wide enough. Or is there a better
solution?

Is there some compound that can be used to seal around the existing
front seal? The machine shop had used silicone, but I don't think this
is the answer. Silicone dissolves in gasoline, so in heated oil it might
deteriorate also.

Stu Keen
Venice, Fl
1951 MGTD MkII