Re: Exon Valdees in my garage

To: BobMGT@aol.com
Subject: Re: Exon Valdees in my garage
From: Dave and Liz DuBois <ddubois@sinclair.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 00:12:37 -0700
Bob,
    Is your oil filter the early type or the later one that is integral
to the pump?  If the latter one, you may have used the wrong sealing
ring.  The filters come with two or three rings and the correct one to
use is the thinnest one.  I was not so lucky as to have mine fail in the
garage, rather it did it on the road and I didn't discover it until it
became audible (as in rod knock).  I have gone back to the way I treated
the sealing ring before restoring my car, once the correct one was in
and seated properly, I left it there. There is no reason to change it
unless it is leaking.  When I restored my TD the ring had been in place
for the 7 years that I had owned and who knows how long before that.  It
never leaked once.

Good luck,
Dave

PS is there any market for barely used oil?