Exon Valdees in my garage

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Exon Valdees in my garage
From: BobMGT@aol.com
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 00:03:37 EDT
I changed the oil in my TD today and put in a new felt oil filter. I started
up the engine, watching the oil gauge. There was the usual
'new-filter-oil-pressure-delay' of several seconds. There was also a whoosh
noise I never heard before. I ran the engine for about a minute, then I got
out and found a gigantic oil puddle under the car. The massive leak was
coming from the oil filter canister. The oil level at this point was too low
to register on the dip stick, but I know I hadn't lost pressure as I was
watching the gauge the whole time the engine was running. I replaced the new
sealing ring with another new one and no more leak. I can't figure out why
the canister didn't seal the first time. I've changed the filter about a
hundred times and never had this happen before. Is there some technique to
this that I've never heard about?

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
EMAIL - BOBMGT@AOL.COM
52 MGTD - under DIY restoration NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB   - AMGBA #96-12029, NAMGBR #7-3336