Fw: Goodyear racing tires & tire slippage

To: "Land-speed Racers" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: Goodyear racing tires & tire slippage
From: "Marge and/or Dave Thomssen" <mdthom@radiks.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 08:52:16 -0500
Gene

Everybody (almost) has it figured out for their own car, and every car is
different.  Some cars can't reach their ultimate top speed (i.e.. street
roadsters) because of tire spin because they are shaped like a brick and
spoilers aren't allowed.  Some ( i.e.. streamliners) go very fast and
spoilers add too much to the air drag.  Both choose lots of ballast in some
cases.  Comparing the 2 1/4 speed to the 3-mile on the short course or the
incremental speeds (2 1/4,3,4,5) on the long course lets the tuner know what
the acceleration affects of a heavy car are.  As Dave D. pointed out,
crashing a heavy car puts a much bigger strain on the rollcage (F=ma).  In
the end you will figure it out, based on the needs of your car.

Dave the hayseed