Re: Calibrating the Cube...

To: Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
Subject: Re: Calibrating the Cube...
From: Byron Short <bshort@AFSinc.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 1999 11:53:01 -0700
Actually the *should* be pretty accurate.  Folks that have access to a
g.Analyst have found very consistent readings between G-Cube and
G.Analyst.  And you can verify readings of your cube on your desktop by
rolling the G-Cube around to each side.  This gives you a chance to
verify that your G-Cube is showing 1 G in each direction when you tilt
it on each side.  If you do this, be sure to set your Roll and Pitch to
zero, otherwise you'll record a bit lower.

All of this is, of course, subject to proper calibration, and roll and
pitch angles.  Roll and pitch generally make pretty small incremental
changes to G readings.  For instance, if a car rolls 3 degrees, and the
user has this set to zero, then one g of actual lateral will be
reflected as about 1.05g.  That's not a huge difference.

Now with that all said, Mark had a unique situation at Nationals...his
readings were exceptionally low, all around.  I still haven't completely
been able to figure out why, but his readings were clearly whacked.  I
do have an idea though...

earlier Palm software.  The newer G-Cube requires a low level calibrate
command to be sent to it at the start of each run.  The older G-Cube
didn't need this.  So Mark was using older software with a newer cube
and I think this contributed to his lower readings.  And if that's not
it, I'll trade cubes with him to research this all a bit more.

--Byron