Re: another radio question

To: Marc Tyler <mtyler@hctc.net>, Dan Zubkoff <zubkoff@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: another radio question
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@tlabgalaxy.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 21:11:08 -0500
Not as well as a vertical one mounted outside the trunk. Our '05 Accord has
a horizontal wire antenna along the top of the rear window and in the rural
areas we drive a lot it just does not work as well as the vertical fender
mounts on either the older Odyssey van or the GMC P/U.

Not getting into a lot of antenna theory including signal polarization
issues, if your antenna is horizontal and you're traveling in any direction
other than directly toward or away from a station's antenna, your receiving
antenna "sees" less signal that it would if it were vertical.

Think of a dowel. If you stand it vertically on it, you'll always see the
entire length, regardless of the direction you view it from. Lay it flat and
as you rotate it you see less until you see least when you're looking at it
from the end.

This can be a real PITA when you're driving East & West to and from work
(like we do) and your favorite oldies station is 45 mile north in Waco. It's
worse when the FCC puts a station on the same frequency in Houston and
atmospheric skip plays hells with propagation.

All that said, if you don't have issues due to stations on the same freq and
you never get far enough away from your favorite station for the signal to
drop below full quieting for your receiver, it should be fine.

Remember, Marc, not everybody enjoys the benefits of living halfway to BFE
like you, Pat and I do. ;>)

Ron