Re: Oil Pressure

To: Jim InVirginia <nqrithfordatsun@msn.com>, wilhouse@charter.net,
Subject: Re: Oil Pressure
From: sportstergreg@everestkc.net
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 16:48:18 -0500
>From my experience, I wouldn't trust that having oil in the head as
>guaranteeing that the oil pump is good.  I have a sportster engine in pieces
>in my garage that the mechanic (who used to work on it) swears the oil pump is
>good because oil was splattering out with the rocker boxes removed.  The
>engine has a massive amount of oil pump failure damage, the pump itself is
>visible worn, out of spec and does not rotate smoothly.  Maybe Roadsters are
>different but I wouldn't chance it.

If you have doubts, I would look for simple things first, like a stuck check
valve (if Roadsters have those), a bad sending unit, a bad oil filter
(sometimes the by pass valve fails I'm told.), incorrect oil weight, low oil
level before moving to more difficult checks like physically pulling the pump
or checking for a clogged pickup (assuming Roadsters have those).

On the oil pressure at idle, I do have a question for Jim.  How many miles have
you run it with the pressure dropping to zero when hot?  I ask because I had
the same problem in hot weather.  For really hot weather, over 90, I switch to
straight 60 weight.  That has kept some pressure at idle, but still not as much
as I would like.  Of course, with one oil failure engine in my garage, I'm a
little nervous.  :-)

Hope this helps.

Greg
69 2000