door hinge pins

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: door hinge pins
From: Keith0alan@aol.com
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 23:36:44 EDT
Hello all,

    I fetched a couple of door hinges from upstairs. A  '66 and a '69. The
'69 came apart with a modest application of a 3 pound hammer  and drift pin.
The
'66 took a totally immodest application of the 3 pound  hammer, drift pin,
and a propane torch. Didn't see any difference other  than three more years of
rust.
    The pins are both 8mm in diameter with a straight  knurl at one end. I
can order some 8mm drill rod and make up a few if folks are  interested. This
rod should be harder than the original pins. One thing I  noticed is that the
hinge does not have a bushing like the Z hinges. This means  that even with the
new pins they will still be a little loose as there will be  some wear in the
hinge.
    The 100% solution would be to ream the hinges to  the next larger size
and make an oversized pin. This would require a bit more  work but I can check
into it if anyone is interested.

keith