RE: Door hinge pins

To: "'Keith0alan@aol.com'" <Keith0alan@aol.com>,
Subject: RE: Door hinge pins
From: "Hall, Phillip" <Phillip.B.Hall@nasa.gov>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 07:26:28 -0500
 Keith - you are on the ball!   Did you make the pins so we have to bore out
the hinge a bit to counter any wear.  I would be interested in a set either
way - the top of my door is now the "striker".  And I assume that the pins
fit all years of Roadsters.

Phil
SEROC

Subject: Door hinge pins

Hello all,

Just finished making up a dozen door hinge pins. They are 8 mm diameter,
2.9" long and straight knurled at one end, just like the original. If
anyone wants to try some out they are $1.00 each plus $1.00 per order for
shipping.
This is the "introductory, still considered experimental" price.  Depending
on the feedback I hopefully receive I may make more in the  future.

One thing to check for is bent hinges. Here's how to check. Remove the
hinge from the car. If the hardware includes a flat and lock washer then you
do have bent hinges. There should only be a lock washer. Put the bolts in
the hinge  with a flat washer to simulate a compressed lock washer. Close
the hinge all the  way. All of the bolt heads should meet. If the ones
farthest from the pin meet  and leave a space between the ones closest to
the pin then the hinge is bent.  Usually one half or the other shows a bend
between the bolt holes and the  loop(s). If you heat this area just red hot
you can straighten it. These hinges  are not really very strong. Leaning on
the door when it is open is a good way to  bend them. I've found that once
the hinges are straight most door fitting  problems are resolved fairly
easily.

keith"too windy to bead blast" williams