Re: door hinge pins

To: <Keith0alan@aol.com>, Roadster List
Subject: Re: door hinge pins
From: Ronnie Day <rday@hot.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 22:56:11 -0500
> Keith

>   I fetched a couple of door hinges from upstairs. A  '66 and a '69. The
> '69 came apart with a modest application of a 3 pound hammer  and drift pin.
> The
> '66 took a totally immodest application of the 3 pound  hammer, drift pin,
> and a propane torch. Didn't see any difference other  than three more years of
> rust.
>   The pins are both 8mm in diameter with a straight  knurl at one end. I
> can order some 8mm drill rod and make up a few if folks are  interested. This
> rod should be harder than the original pins. One thing I  noticed is that the
> hinge does not have a bushing like the Z hinges. This means  that even with
> the
> new pins they will still be a little loose as there will be  some wear in the
> hinge.
>   The 100% solution would be to ream the hinges to  the next larger size
> and make an oversized pin. This would require a bit more  work but I can check
> into it if anyone is interested.

Keith, is there enough meat in the hinge to drill it out to use bushings,
preferably something readily available like those that come in kits to
rebuild domestic hinges? That way the bushings would wear, rather than the
much rarer hinge and we could buy off the shelf kits for something like my
'93 GMC pickup to rebuild them. Might have to cut down the pins, but that
shouldn't be difficult.

FWIW,
Ron