Re: Newbie

To: datsun-roadster list <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Newbie
From: Thomas Wolfe <tomwolfe@texas.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 20:34:30 -0600
WOW, I got 23 (count 'em) responses to my introductory email
to the group.  That's impressive.  I liked the cars but am
blown away by the welcomes from the mail list.  This group
is obviously a tremendous asset to the cars.  Thanks
everyone.  I haven't begun the search yet, but am greatly
encouraged by what I've found here in this group.

I'm also impressed to hear that Datsun/Nissan still stocks
some parts.  From my previous experience with Isuzu, I'd
expected far less support.  I'm pleasantly surprised.  I
checked out the various links that were provided by everyone
and was glad to see that there is quite an aftermarket
support for the roadsters (at least as compared to my last
car which required that I make just about everything from
scratch).

I asked about the viability of driving it every day and the
to' being the consensus.  What I was looking for was a
feeling of how many were using them for this purpose so I
could better gauge their reliability.  My wife and I have
good daily drivers, so I'm looking for a car to take to the
office occaisionally, to the rod runs on Fridays and to
church on Sunday.  My daily driver is a '01 Nissan Frontier
SC Crew Cab with a very nice air conditioner.  In Texas it
would be hard to be without one in the summer.  It could
also serve as a tow vehicle if I decided to bring the car to
an event on the east or west coast - not that I want a
trailer queen.

Speaking of which, is there anyone on the list that makes
the trip to Carlisle Penn. for their import car show and
swap meet?  Is this a good source for parts deals?

It sounds as though the 67.5 Solex is the one most lust
after.  But it also sounds like the 1600cc is the better way
to go.  All the comments talked about it's stamina and parts
availability.  I know I'll disappoint some, but I cast my
lot with the older roadsters and prefer the proportions of
the lower windshields.  However, props go to Laurie for the
best answer to my question when she said "IMHO the best yr
is the one you HAVE !"  LOL!!

I ordered a couple of books on the cars, which should be
here by the end of the week.  I'll read up on them, maybe
try to find a couple of the cars locally to look at up
close.  One other comment I heard more than once was to take
my time and get the best possible one I can afford.  Sage
advice.

One more question I was thinking of on the drive home this
afternoon - has anyone transplanted a 240Z (or better)
engine into one of these cars?  Are the parts any easier to
find than say the 2000cc?

Thanks again all,
Thom