Re: Newbie

To: Thomas Wolfe <tomwolfe@texas.net>
Subject: Re: Newbie
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 19:30:00 -0600 (CST)
Thom,

Welcome to the list!

There are a number of us roadster owners here in the Austin area, so maybe
we can get a get together set up for some time after the beginning of the
year.  Not everyone here in Austin on th elist has a roadster, so you
won't feel out of place!

I have a 67.5 1600 that I use as a daily driver.  I put about 10,000 per
year on it and it is doing fine.  Before I bought this car I had had
another 67.5 1600 that I drove daily for about 6 years.

If you keep up with the maintenance you will have a reliable vehicle.

As for which year is best, I like the early, flat dash cars myself, but
that is just me! Power is not THAT big a deal, so te 1600 is fine with me.
(I plan on rebuilding my old 1600 engine into a stroker 2 liter engine
some time next year, but that is not a high priority).

I agree on parts availability that has been expressed by others. Front
fenders, 2L timing components , as well as 2L carbs seem to be the high
dollar items.

As with any car that is over 30 years old it will have problems, but that
shouldn't keep you from buying one.  Do you plan on doing your own work,
or have someone else do it for you?  I do all my won work except for body
work and enjoy doing it, so I can't figure labor charges into the cost of
my car.  If you plan on having someone else do your maintenance and
repairs for you, then your costs will be higher.  There are a couple of
shops here in Austin that are good for roadster repairs, plus a bunch of
us tahat like to work on these cars too!

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor, Future planner