Re: Newbie

To: "Thomas Wolfe" <tomwolfe@texas.net>,
Subject: Re: Newbie
From: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 19:20:28 -0500
Tom,

Make sure you buy the very best car you can that needs very little work and
almost rust free with good chrome.

Don't think you can buy a fixer-upper and think you're going to get away
cheap. These cars, as any old car, but especially these cars, are not cheap
to restore especially if front fenders and other body parts need to be
replaced. Front ends are also expensive to rebuild.

If you can't afford to buy a very good car, wait until you can.

For everyday driving I'd stick with a 1600 as the parts are cheap compared
to a 2000. Although 2000s are reliable, if the engine needs work it can get
pricey. A 5 speed would be a nice non-stock mod on a 1600.

If you do intend to use it as a daily driver then make sure you grease the
front end every 1000 or so miles and make sure all the boots on the
balljoints and all other front end parts are there and they're protected
from the elements.

It doesn't matter what year the car is - it depends on the condition of the
car.

Use your head not your heart when making a purchase or you could end up with
a piece of junk and lots of headaches. If you know nothing about cars, hire
someone to check it out carefully especially the body, front end and engine.

Be wary of newly painted cars unless you see photographic documentation of
the repairs. The best bet would be to buy a car with an older paint job as
the rust will bubble through after all the years.

Caveat emptor!!!!!

Mike