Re: Newbie

To: tomwolfe@texas.net, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Newbie
From: "Stephen McCartney" <sgam@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2001 22:15:35 +0000
Hi Thomas, welcome to the list.

It's nice to meet someone who's willing to step into a new group and start a
fight from the get-go! 8^)

No such thing as a "best" Datsun roadster.  The most collectable would have
to be a 67.5 2000.  IIRC, all of them were Solex cars.  After that, it's
really up to personal choice.  Some people prefer older cars with the lower
rooflines and "flat" dashboards.  Some (like me) aren't as concerned with
that, and just want the quickest version - a Solex 2000 of any vintage,
though they're harder to find, I believe, in the US than over here in
Australia.  If you're going to look at "high screen" cars, arguably the 1970
is your best bet - it does have a better steering box.  In the end though,
I'd be looking at each car you find as an individual case.  I ended up with
a '68 that I absolutely love, and I turned down a cheaper '70 model as it
wasn't in as good a shape.  The 1600 can be made to go very quickly indeed,
using parts from the Nissan H20 motors you can build yourself a pushrod 2
litre.

Cheers, and good hunting
Steve
'68 2000 Solex