Re: CA Black Plate Bill Vetoed

To: Roman Rist <roadsterregistry@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: CA Black Plate Bill Vetoed
From: Gary McCormick <svgkm@halley.ca.essd.northgrum.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 07:07:03 -0700
OK, Roman... take a deep breath, count to 3... in.. out... Better now? It's a
visibility
deal on the reflective plates. California adopted reflective plates long before
laser
speed measuring devices were even off of the drawing board. The bill to adopt
them was
introduced by a state legislator who had a good friend whose son was killed
when a drunk
driver veered off of the road and hit his disabled vehicle by the side of the
road. The
idea was that a disabled vehicle, with no lights on, would have better
visibility with a
reflective license plate. Law enforcement clued in on how well they work with
laser speed
guns much later ;^)

That having been said, I agree that Gov. Davis' stated reasons for vetoing the
bill are
total BS. As datsunmike pointed out, not a lot of pre-1970 classic cars are
used as
getaway vehicles, and while there may be "tens of thousands" of pre-1970
vehicles that
would be eligible for YOM plates, how many of them are classics whose owners
are going to
go to the trouble, and not just clunkers that have one axle in the junkyard?

Roman Rist wrote:

> --- Gary McCormick <gkmcc@netgate.net> wrote:
>  Reflective license plates do increase safety
> --- Gov Davis writes;
> This change represents a significant potential public safety problem as
> reflectorization assists police officers and citizens in accurately
> identifying vehicles that are involved in unlawful activities.
>
> BS!!!!! reflective plates increase public safety.....HOW????
>
> A black or blue plate vechicle stands out in the crowd of white
> reflective plates!!!!!
> I wish polititians would stop bull----ing us and tell the truth.
> It is about revenue, speeding tickets, camera issued tickets, etc, IT
> IS ABOUT MONEY...possibly millions of dollars!!!!!!! Not to mention
> contracts with the companies that manufacture, market, and sell these
> Big Brother devices. When did the govt REALLY CARE about our "safety".
>
> Sorry to rant and rave but it really pisses me off, not so much that
> the bill got vetoed, just the lame untruthful "reason".
>
> Roman
> Roman
>
> =====
> roadsterregistry@yahoo.com