Re: Solex Update

To: CalSpeed@aol.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Solex Update
From: Jsk977@aol.com
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 22:12:52 EDT
In a message dated 5/25/00 6:04:02 PM Pacific Daylight Time, CalSpeed@aol.com
writes:

<< Hello,

 I am wondering if anyone car tell me the differences in performance between
 the two different Solex's offered for the 2000's.  I currently have the
later
 design Solex's on the car and they work fine but I also have a new set of
the
 early type that would appear to be the original carbs that were offered in
 1967.

 I have heard that there is a performance increase in the earlier carbs.  Why
 is that?  I have also heard that the earlier carbs are difficult to get
parts
 for if a rebuild is needed.  True?

 Please advise if you have any info.   >>

Michael,

The earlier ones did have better ultimate air flow characteristics.  Sometime
around 1973 I got a call from the Bob Sharp team asking for a favor. they
wanted my older style(two screws holding the jet cover) Solexs for their 240Z
race cars, and traded them for a brand new set of the newer style(wing nut
holding the jet cover), and some other stuff.  I now sort of regret it since
ol 99 in no longer original. For anything less than ultimate compitition
there is not much difference.

Jerry Krakauer
SRL311 00099