Re: Roadster Prices Revisited

To: Andrew Murphy <solex67@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Roadster Prices Revisited
From: Jim Tyler <jtyler@ga.prestige.net>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 22:12:32 -0400
Ahhh, one of my favorite topics!

Andrew Murphy wrote:

> Once again I find myself questioning the pricing guidelines when it comes to
> selling our cars. Now I am not about to rejoin the 25 thousand dollar
> roadster debate, but I saw a 69 2000 for sale today that again led me to
> believe that at least some people think these cars are worth more than those
> of us who follow the prices regularly do.
>
> This car is a nice looking yellow 69 2000 with panasports. Guy claims to
> have 8 grand into the car. Wants 13k obo. Now in my opinion, a 13k price
> range means pretty damn near perfect. Fully restored.

13K would not get you a NEW TRULY fully restored 2L from me or CDM or anyone
who takes every nut and bolt off the car during a restoration, then loving
puts it back together with new plating, paint and as many new parts as can
be bought - that costs more.

13K will get you a very very nice roadster though - no doubt.

> Yet I can locate a 67
> 2 liter conversion with American Racing Wheels that is listed as "98%
> restored" (and does look good in the photo)for 5500.00.
>
> Where is the disconnect?

Firstly, a photo doesn't tell you crap, other than the basic visuals.
You can build a completely perfect looking car completely out of bondo.

Second, I assure you at 5500.00 it isn't "fully restored". Period end
of story.  If it really is, the guy is losing THOUSANDS.

> Is it really just people asking whatever they think
> it is worth? Is it just that you have to shop around? When I posted the shot
> of my 70 2000, almost every response I got included a "how much did you
> pay?" I haven't repsonded because it isn't anyone's business and also
> because I want to keep the asking price on these cars reasonable. It is up
> to the buyer to bargain for the car. We all know that we can get a driver
> for 3-4 k. A really nice one goes for 7 and above.

The definitions of "really nice" vary as well.  I can't remember the last
time I saw a 3500.00 that I would have bought as a "keeper" unless I would put
trough a full restoration.  Most of those are in pretty poor shape or look
good and have mechanical problems.

> For 13k and above, I want
> concourse, frame off restoration. That's only my opinion. I am sure there
> are others.

You gotta watch your terms here, I think you are talking "nice street"

When you say Concourse to me that means about 4-6k in paint/body/sheet metal
depending on what you start with.  If you tell a GOOD paint man you want a true
"SHOW" job for 2K, he'll flick his cigarette butt at you then walk away
laughing.
And rightly so.

You gonna do the rest for 8K when a true "concourse" engine would cost you 3K+?

If you want a nice street car that can be done for 13K, not a true concourse
car.

Jim