Re: U20 Compression

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: U20 Compression
From: "Kyle Hagemann" <kwhcpa@addler.net>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 16:40:48 -0700
There's been a lot of information circulating re: higher compression...
but what about lower?  Suppose someone wanted to get his U20 down to
87 octane territory - with the SU cam.... what CR would that be?  I'm
guessing about 9.0:1 or so?  What is the stock CR, 9.5, maybe more?

>From the L-series, I'm somewhat familiar with the concepts of valve
unshrouding and chamber relieving... but specific "grind this much
here" and "egad, man, don't grind there!" tips would be wonderful.

It's been six months since I drove it, but AIR, it ran like a finicky
high compression engine, and needed 92 octane.

The engine is out now, and I will be pulling the head for a gasket
replacement, as well as timing chain inspection; but I don't want to
disassemble the short block.

TIA for any suggestions!

Kyle
'69 2000 (??:1)
'71 521 (9.5:1, more head work to come [ping-a-ling!])
'72 240Z (8:1, runs on anything;-)