Re: U20 Compression

To: Mike Poorboy <bitterrootprop@nidlink.com>
Subject: Re: U20 Compression
From: Jim Tyler <toplessdatsun@ga.prestige.net>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 18:44:30 -0400
For a real competition engine, any of the OE cast pistons are totally
unacceptable. Decking the block with flat tops doesn't help much,
if you run at the piston at zero deck height that only allows
about .050 (gasket) of clearance which you must have.  To get
11.5 or more you must have a dome.  The R16 piston is way to wimpy
for sustained revs over 7k.

Probably the best choices for custom pistons are Venolia or JE.
Even after you get a set from them, consider that a starting point
since you will usually have to machine various portions for optimal
performance and clearance.

If you want to get really serious about it, I have a set of Cosworths
around here some where I'll sell at a good price. They came out
of Studdards program.  They are the lightest/strongest.
They can't be used for street since the under side of the dome is
relieved (meaning you can't cut some of it off to lower the
compression.  They are all out racing pistons.

Jim