Re: U20 Compression

To: Mike Poorboy <bitterrootprop@nidlink.com>
Subject: Re: U20 Compression
From: Jim Tyler <toplessdatsun@ga.prestige.net>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 23:11:09 -0400

Mike Poorboy wrote:

> What about the factory connecting rods? Are they strong enough to
> handle around 200 horsepower? This around what a U20 is capable
> of normally aspirated. Plus or minus 20 horsepower.
>
> I was just brainstorming about competition U20's. I was trying to see if it
> was
> feasible to build a high compression engine using flat tops.

The connecting rods are quite good, but they are heavy.  By the time
you machine them into a racing rod, you have spent about half the cost
of a Carrillo and they still weigh a hell of alot more.

For such an absolutely critical part,  Carrillo's can't be beat.
They are much lighter and soooo much stronger.  The weight helps
not only with revs but in helping the bearings survive.  Yes,
they are expensive, but they will last MANY seasons if something
else doesn't damage them.  (All this assumes you are serious about
winning).

Jim