Re: Who Fast?

To: "Hall, Phillip" <Phillip.Hall@msfc.nasa.gov>
Subject: Re: Who Fast?
From: Gary McCormick <svgkm@halley.ca.essd.northgrum.com>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 12:51:04 -0700
General Chuck Yeager - a fella who knows a little something about fast machines
- said
that in air combat, it's more about the pilot than the plane, that a great
pilot in a
lesser aircraft will get the drop on his opponent even if the opponent is
flying a more
capable aircraft. Knowing your aircraft's (or car's) capabilities, the
opponent's
capabilities and figuring out how to play your strengths against their
weaknesses is how
you achieve victory. What Phillip is talking about here is the same deal...

Gary McCormick
San José, CA

P.S. - Altho', General Yeager pursued his air combat career in the North
American P-51
Mustang, widely acknowledged to be the finest all-around piston-engined fighter
aircraft
ever flown. Yeager and his '51 were a hard combination to beat.