Re: Who Fast?

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Who Fast?
From: CalSpeed@aol.com
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 19:37:19 EDT
Okay..... Roadster and 911 stories.  Strangly enough I have one too.  It
actually took place shortly after I bought my 67.5 2000.  I was in SF North
Bay when I was driving home in my U20 Solex.  I was in the hills outside of
the wine country when I happened upon the tail of an 80's 911.  I followed
him through the twisties with out any confrontation in mind.  We both just
cruised along at around 60-70 mph on the twistie two lane highway.  After
about three miles or so of this he decided to show his significant other in
the passenger seat how powerful his car was.  On the next straight he hit the
gas and took off only to be slowed up by the next set of twisties of which I
promptly caught up with him.

Not as if I am confrontational but I too wanted to see what my Solex machine
could do.  Watching the RPM's I kept the car in third as it seemed that this
was the magical gear for these backroads.  As I caught up to him I rode his
bumper alittle closer this time.  Once again he jumped on it on the next
straight but this time my car was in its sweet spot range and I stayed on his
tail but dropped back when we were near the end of the straight as I didn't
know what he would do when we reached the curves.  So for the next 15 to 20
miles I pushed this guy to speeds that I know he was not comfortable with.
He finally did pull over and let me pass.  And as I did he didn't look over
but his girl did.  I just smiled.

I have been on the track with 911's enough to know that they are awesome.  I
can never keep up with them if the driver is competent.  Ohhhh.... except
once to which I have a video of.  ;>)  Now thats a good story and I will post
it later.  No time right now.  I need to change and feed my little Rosie.
;>)

Michael "Calspeed" Carion
67.5 SRL311-000248 Solex