Re: Who Fast?

To: "Roadsters (E-mail)" <Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Who Fast?
From: Ronnie Day <rday@bigtex.ci.dallas.tx.us>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 15:15:00 -0500
>How fast is a Roadster- that is the question.  My experience has been that
>even though the Roadster may not be as fast as some cars, we make them fast
>by driving ability.  It seems we go out and really use our Roadsters - the
>way they were designed to be used.  It may be because they are repairable
>and can be had for a fraction the cost of a Z3 - I don't know.  But, we all
>have stories about doing 180's, losing it, autocrossing, etc..  This makes
>us better drivers.  I got into a race around a loop exit ramp with a new
>corvette - and bet it.  Does this say the Roadster is faster in corners then
>a corvette - No.  It means the guy driving the corvette did not know how to
>drive around corners.  Does this say I am a great driver -No.  The Roadster
>allows you to use a corner properly.  Like most of you guys, I can get into
>a corner, set the suspension and exit at a descent line.  This is something
>I practice a lot.  When is the last time you saw a Z3 balls out in a corner

We bought our 2000 in '70 as a commuter, believe it or not. We'd not been
married too long and were living in the Riverside area of Fort Worth,
north and east of downtown. I was attending NTSU in Denton, 35 miles
north on I-35 and we bought the 2000 because even at under $0.30/gallon
for gas, commuting in my '67 Impala was killing us.

In any case, I drove the 2000 back and forth to Denton on a new highway
(I-35W) that was very sparsely traveled and as often happens I started
seeing other folks going back and forth at similar times during the week.
Every Tuesday and Thursday afternoon I'd get about 5 miles or so south of
Denton on my way home and two guys, one in a '67 Camaro, the other in an
early Mustang would go tearing past me at a pretty good clip.

One day when I saw them in my rearview mirror I said what the heck,
dropped it into 4th and nailed it. Needless to say, they were both more
than a little surprised that this little yellow roadster was not only
hanging with them through 90 plus, but as we topped 110 (indicated), I
finally hit 5th. I suspect both guys were running drag oriented gearing
because they weren't able to maintain 100 plus for long before they were
showing signs of overheating. Frankly the 2000 was getting a little
light, too. Still, it was fun, once. True story.

BTW - You do know the difference between a Fairy Tale and a Sea Story (a
tall Navy tale for you non-sailors), don't you? A Fairy Tale starts out,
"Once upon a time...", and a Sea Story begin with "Not this is no B.S."
<g>

Later,
Ron

Ronnie Day
ronday@home.com
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared class autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)