Re: Help!! Dead Roadster!!!!!!!!

To: Dan Neuman <dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu>
Subject: Re: Help!! Dead Roadster!!!!!!!!
From: T and E Corcoran <corcoran@bainbridgeisland.net>
Date: Sun, 07 May 2000 10:14:48 -0700
Dan Neuman wrote:

>  the ground
> from the starter to the frame was off.  I reconnected it and went to sleep.
>         Today I decide to start the car up and tune the carbs.. Turn the
> key to start, engine goes about half a revolution and then nothing.. Further
> attempts and there is nothing.. No dead fuses and everything else works.  I
> I have Irene try to start it as I watch the starter.. The ground wire to the
> frame gets really really hot and starts smoking!!  I check with the voltmeter
> and there is cont between the ground nut on the solinoid and the hot nut
> that the cable from the batt goes to.  THis can't be correct??

Dan,
The ground wire goes from the starter mounting bolt at the trany "bell" housing
to the car's frame rail. I don't believe that the wire does anywhere near the
starter solinoid. Now if you did connect the ground wire to one of the large
studs on the starter solenoid you would get pretty similar symptoms.
Good Luck,
Tim