Help!! Dead Roadster!!!!!!!!

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Help!! Dead Roadster!!!!!!!!
From: Dan Neuman <dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu>
Date: Sat, 6 May 2000 21:54:43 -0700
Hello All,
        Damnit Damnit Damnit..  my car is dead!!!  Help!!!  I was planning on
going to the Fariladys at the beach show.
        Here's the symptoms.  Last night I started the car up just fine.
I then cut the bumpstops and I noticed thath one of my grounds.. the ground
from the starter to the frame was off.  I reconnected it and went to sleep.
        Today I decide to start the car up and tune the carbs.. Turn the
key to start, engine goes about half a revolution and then nothing.. Further
attempts and there is nothing.. No dead fuses and everything else works.  I
I have Irene try to start it as I watch the starter.. The ground wire to the
frame gets really really hot and starts smoking!!  I check with the voltmeter
and there is cont between the ground nut on the solinoid and the hot nut
that the cable from the batt goes to.  THis can't be correct??  It woudl seem
that when I turn the car to start the current is shorting straight to ground,
hence the smoking ground wire.  I noticed that the little mini harness that
plugs into a plug right below the brake master cylinder and has three
wires.. two go to the hot nut on the starter solinoid and the other goes to
a seperate lead was looking pretty crusty and burnt.. I replaced two of the
three wires but left the big black one alone.  GO to start the car again and
the same thing happens!?!?!?  Ground wire gets smoking hot almost
instantly and nothing else happens.....
        What the heck coudl be wrong?? And is there any chance I can
fix this before  I have to be at the show at 8:30????
        HELP!!!
        Daniel 69 2000
        SF CA
        415-752-3291