Re: MINT ROADSTER sighting/ Roadster values

To: datsun roadsters <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: MINT ROADSTER sighting/ Roadster values
From: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 13:37:52 -0700
Hi,

I'm looking at the SF Examiner auto ads today, and it occurs to me that in the
collectors cars section (3 columns) I always see Datsun sprinkled among the
Aston Martins, Lotus, MGs, Panteras, etc. But now that I think about it, I don't
recall seeing Hondas, Mazdas, Mitsubishis, Toyotas, etc. Today there are 2
240Z's, 2 2000 roadsters, and a 66 wagon (4sp, clean, runs well, $1700). Do the
other Japanese imports just disintegrate after a while? Do the owners shoot them
to put them out of their misery?

Also, I'm noticing more people seem to be getting into old car collecting as a
hobby, and are looking around for a candidate car. One of my brother-in-laws
told me Sunday that he wants to get into restoring a car; the only other thing
he was interested in was stocking his bar. My neighbor across the street got a
50's Caddie, the neighbor immediately right of me has a 60's Mustang, the
neighbor immediately left of me has a 60's Chevelle. They're all shocked that I
drive my roadsters hundreds of miles away. Their cars stay close to home (how
sad for them!)

My point? As Roman said, the days of it being a cheap Japanese car are over, and
the car is going to be recognised as a classic. Especially when many of these
new car collectors find out the benefits that we enjoy. Rugged, unique, compact,
low cost, easy to work on, and most of all just plain fun to drive.

Fred - So.SF
(4 in my collection)