Re: 1600 exhaust rattle

To: bdalrymple@nctimes.net, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 1600 exhaust rattle
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 99 22:48:53 CDT
Bruce,

Check with the muffler shop. The newer FWD cars use those flexible
pipes, so any decent muffler shop should be able to fix it up.

I'd still go with the 1 & 3/4" exhaust pipe on the 1600. Usually
I like using the OEM Nissan exhaust for a 69-70 2000. Most roadsters
have an aftermarket header so you'll need something mounted up
on the header.

The OEM rear muffler/megaphone for the 2000 list at something like
$150. Ouch.  I have one made up by Jim Tyler, which is nice as the
megaphone is stainless steel rather than chrome like the original.

Back to the rattle: If you have NEW rubber bushings on the
exhaust pipe mounts (look a the pipe where it passes through
the frame]. Usually the mounts are bad, or just plain missing.
On "shop" was nice enough to CUT OFF the little tabs that hold
the mounts. Sigh.

Have fun!

Cheers,

Tom