RE: hesitation on acceleration fixed?

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: hesitation on acceleration fixed?
From: pkort@cis.picker.com
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 10:50:32 -0400

Matt,

  If the "boost" came shortly after leaving work ( a mile or so ) I would guess
fuel pump problems more than vapor lock.  If the car starts, it may be running
off the float bowls until the pump catches up and delivers sufficient fuel for
that "boost".  A small fuel line leak would allow the gas to drain back into the
tank, making the fuel pump work harder at start up.
  If you still have a stock pump you might want to try a new diaphragm.  Or swap
out to an electric fuel pump.  And if your fuel lines are old, you might as well
spend a couple of bucks and replace the lines.  Remember that there are two fuel
line sizes under the hood!  The supply line to the pump and on to the carbs is
smaller than the return line out of the back carb.
  My 1600 runs with a NAPA electric fuel pump that costs $30.  It is a low
pressure pump and does not require a pressure regulator.  It is mounted just in
front of the battery.
  If vapor lock is the problem, try rerouting the fuel line to in front of the
radiator.  My 1600 had the fuel line clamped to the thermostat housing!

Best of luck,

Paul
OROC
BTW, what is your spin on it, Teddy?