Re: hesitation on acceleration fixed?

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net, pete_303@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: hesitation on acceleration fixed?
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 99 09:27:01 CDT
Matt,

When you suspect carb troubles, check out the electrical system!

Start with cleaning the terminals on the distributor (take the nuts
off, clean both sides of the little brass eyelet with fine emery
paper). Check the wire from the ignition coil "-" side to the distributor
slip on connector (for the points).  Usually I make up a NEW wire
and just bypass the wiring harness wire.

When you get into the distributor, I usually just make a mental
note of which way the rotor was pointing, and remove the WHOLE
distributor (remove just the one screw holding it in place
on the adjuster pointer).  You'll discover TWO wires in the
distributor. One of which connects to the points to the space
(oops, spade) connector.  Other is for ground connection.

Take the WHOLE distributor over to the friendly folks at Turner
Nissan, and check to see if they have a wires to match those two
items. Roadster is NLA, but the distributor wires are common to
later makes. Admitted for the last 20 years Datsun/Nissan have
been electronic, so if they don't have anything call up one
of our friendly parts suppliers.

What I suspect is that you have an intermittant connection within
the wire. I've had a 2000 ONLY cut out at 3,500 rpm. Turned out
to be a broken wire inside the insulation.

Little Humor: At first I thought someone was playig a practical
joke on me... hence why I asked where you live. Little did I
know you would be spotted around Watt & Eastern! All this while
never learning Austin, TX. Sorry, I can not say how I did this...

Cheers,

Tom Walter
Austin, TX.
(lots of typo's today... and still a wicked sense of humor!)