Re: REmoving Front sway bar

To: "Miller, Don" <MillerD2@idhw.state.id.us>,
Subject: Re: REmoving Front sway bar
From: P or T <p-pie@sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 23:59:30 -0400
Don,

A couple of comments on your predicament - having done this myself in
the past, removing the front sway bar is likely going to cause even more
understeer - the front tires will suffer even more positive camber - and
therefore induce more understeer - with the bar removed.
Try your experiment, but I feel that this is going in the wrong
direction....a bigger bar in the front, to prevent excessive positive
camber while turning, setting static camber to at least 0 degrees,
perhaps even somewhat negative to begin with, then moderately stiffen up
your rear end, with some combination of stiffer shocks (in compression,
not rebound), stiffer springs, and/or a rear sway bar - the goal is to
increase rear weight transfer, to encourage some 'turn induced'
oversteer (as opposed to power induced)....one way to get around cones
in a hurry - be careful, though - with too much weight transfer in the
rear, the car can be dangerous to drive at higher speeds.

You mention that you have soft shocks in the back in an attempt to
prevent too much bounce....do you mean power-on wheel hop?  If this is
what is happening, a traction bar, as standard on 2000s is a must, to
reduce spring 'wind-up', and subsequent hop of the axle.  The Watts
linkage will reduce the tendency for the axle to shift sideways in a
turn, but won't help with power induced problems in a straight line.
Stiffer shocks (in compression) in the back are one way to improve
weight transfer while transitioning into a turn, and therefore help
increase your oversteer/reduce your understeer.

Pete Long
'68 (Solex 2L) KA24DE