RE: One Fine Day/insanity

To: "'datsun-roadsters@autox.Team.Net'" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: One Fine Day/insanity
From: Jim Tyler <jtyler29@idt.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 20:34:11 -0400
> What (if anything) could we do as a collective roadster commune, united
only by roadster insanity
> (you see it comes in various forms of which I have only listed a few) to
improve the value and
> collectability of these cars?
>
> It would be an interesting project to see if we could actually drive the
price up somehow???
> (Hey, bigger things have been done by far less people!, sounds like a
marketing issue)

Your right Jim!  I believe we can collectively change the perception of the
value of our cars.
If everyone would write to various car magazines and tell them we would like
to see articles on Datsun roadsters.
Some of the more talented people on this list could even write and submit
the articles and supply the photos.
We would see a noticeable change as people became aware of just how special
a roadster is.These cars deserve to be shown for the fast, nimble and
reliable cars they are.  This must be a positive campaign that would target
the major magazines.  Z-car mag is just getting started so I would not
consider them a great influence on the marketplace at this time.   I have
been collecting URLs and photos for over a years now and the wealth of
knowledge available on the Net is amazing.  Now if we can get the media to
look at events like Shasta  and different road racing events we can increase
the awareness of other car buffs.  That's my 2 cents.

Ron Edgar
68 1600
Ft Lauderdale
http://personal.mia.bellsouth.net/mia/r/v/rvedgar/

Yeah, pretty much a widespread Roadster marketing campaign.   To some extent we
compete with the Z crowd, but at this point any positive Nissan collectable
campaign is
probably good since (in the collectors world)  we are so far off the map.

If we portray the roadster as THE true Collectable, Affordable (affordable in
collectors terms
is a really nice specimen for less than 25-30K), Convertible Japanese Classic
sports car,
my bet is things could improve quite a bit.

A Toyota GT2000 is way out of reach for most since there were SO few made and
the parts are so scarce.  A  240Z, as nicely engineered as they were, the just
aren't ragtops,
and there will always be that undeniable appeal.

I think that is a clever idea about requesting articles to all the classic
magazines.

Could somebody gather together and post the various addresses to write?  Email
addresses too since that is SOOO easy.

Lets pester Speedvision too.  They probably have email as well.   It would be
cool to see Les' place on Speedvision!  (Sorry for the unsolicited PR Les, but
you
are the only company I know doing commercial restorations, so you get the
prize).

Jim Tyler