Re: Step 2: Gimme Shelter

To: southern@neit.cgd.ucar.EDU
Subject: Re: Step 2: Gimme Shelter
From: jerry@tr2.com (Jerome Kaidor)
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 1994 00:01:58 -0700 (PDT)
Lawrence Buja wrote:

> Step 2: Gimme Shelter

[...]
> surprised how exhausted the whole exercise left me.  Next time, I`ll
> just pay the bucks for a flatbed tow truck so I`m not killing myself
> worrying about something going wrong.

Lawrence,
   That reminds me of the time I bought a Honda Goldwing motorcycle
from a guy in Santa Cruz, which is about 50 miles down the Pacific
coast from San Francisco.  I went down there, did the test drive,
made the deal, paid the man the money, and drove it home.

  Well, not quite home.  In fact, the motor suddenly stopped about
half way up the Pacific Coast Highway.  It was a broken timing belt
( sound familiar? ).  Luckily, my wife had been following me in the
van.  There we were, in the middle of nowhere, the wind whistling through
the sand dunes, colder'n @#$#, when a four-wheel-drive full of cops
pulls up and says ``Having trouble?  Need any help?'', with the
subliminal message: ``get that piece of junk off the road before we....''.

   We got into the van, drove up to Half Moon Bay.  Now, I had a bike
trailer back home in San Mateo;  I could have driven the van over the
mountains, got the trailer, driven back, and pulled the bike back home.
But it was 10:00 at night, I was tired, cold, and hungry, and I just
hit the first phone booth, and started calling tow companies.  Best
$250 I ever spent.....

                                     - Jerry Kaidor