Re: MG History?

To: sol <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MG History?
From: Randy Wilson <randy@taylor.wyvern.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 1994 23:35:04 -0400 (EDT)
Scott correctly stated...

> > The model year code begins in 1970 with A and proceeds down the
> > alphabet.  This means that my GHN5UB code indicates that it's an
> > MGB (H) tourer (N) made to 1971 specifications (B).  My old Midget
> > was GAN5UE...  That car's build plate said it was
> > constructed in August 1974, ...

... but left out a few details that caused Tim to respond with:

> Huh?  My Midget is GAN6UL212492G.  So by this scheme it's an '81 Midget?
>                         ^
> The sources I've read state that digit 6 of my VIN is L or H for high
> or low compression.  Did the numbering scheme change when they went to
> Triumph engines?

The L and H for compression are in the engine number, not the VIN. Scott is
correct that in 70, MG coded the *model* year into the VIN at the sixth
character. What he didn't mention was that a few letters could be mistaken
as numbers, so they got skipped. These two skipped letters were "I" and "K".
Don't ask me... :>

  A=70
  B=71
  C=72
  G=76
  H=77
  J=78
  L=79

 This actually worked out so well that our dear US Gov insisted on a
standardized VIN starting in 1980. The tenth character of *any* 80 and later
auto sold in this country is the year code. It works exactly the same.
Yes, they even skipped "I". But they didn't skip "K".

  (another trick from the pro grab bag. While talking to a new customer,
casually walk around the car, and note the model year for use later in
the conversation. Especially good for cars like Jags where there were no
noticable changes for several model years.)

   Randy
     randy@taylor.wyvern.com