Re: MG History?

To: sfisher@megatest.com, timd@midget.ptltd.com
Subject: Re: MG History?
From: hill@ece.ucdavis.edu (Rich Hill)
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 94 13:29:02 -0700
>> The model year code begins in 1970 with A and proceeds down the
>> alphabet.  This means that my GHN5UB code indicates that it's an
>> MGB (H) tourer (N) made to 1971 specifications (B).  My old Midget
>> was GAN5UE...  That car's build plate said it was
>> constructed in August 1974, ...
>
>Huh?  My Midget is GAN6UL212492G.  So by this scheme it's an '81 Midget?
>                        ^
>The sources I've read state that digit 6 of my VIN is L or H for high
>or low compression.  Did the numbering scheme change when they went to
>Triumph engines?

My '79 Midget (May, '79 according to the tag on the door) is GAN6UL224516G.
It's definitely not an '81!  It's possible they skipped "I" as a model
year designator but that still makes it an '80, which it isn't.  To add
to the idea that it was an L or H, they only made something like 9,000
'79 Midgets - 212492 to 224516 is a bit more than that yet they both have the
"L" in the VIN.  I think the series number (6 in this case) was incremented
when they went to the rubber bumpers.

Rich Hill
(The car turns 15 in less than a week - what kind of cake do you think
it would like?)