Re: MG History?

To: sfisher@megatest.com
Subject: Re: MG History?
From: timd@midget.ptltd.com (Tim Dziechowski)
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 94 15:54:52 EDT
> The model year code begins in 1970 with A and proceeds down the
> alphabet.  This means that my GHN5UB code indicates that it's an
> MGB (H) tourer (N) made to 1971 specifications (B).  My old Midget
> was GAN5UE...  That car's build plate said it was
> constructed in August 1974, ...

Huh?  My Midget is GAN6UL212492G.  So by this scheme it's an '81 Midget?
                        ^
The sources I've read state that digit 6 of my VIN is L or H for high
or low compression.  Did the numbering scheme change when they went to
Triumph engines?

timd@ptltd.com  (Tim Dziechowski - Phoenix Technologies - Norwood, Mass)
"actually, it's now GAN6UH, but don't tell the smog police..."