TR6- speedometer flutter...and steering question

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6- speedometer flutter...and steering question
From: Jacob ben-David Zimmerman <zimerman@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 94 23:30:45 EDT
This is an 'idle curiosity' question, as the dollars and time are already
budgeted for much more crucial items, but...I have what looks to be the original
Smiths speedo in Amanda (70 TR6) and it tends to 'flutter' a lot.  Athough it
is quite responsive, there is an irregular variation that tops out at plus or
minus about seven mph when going 70mph. It's not an oscillation, it's quite
irregular, but constant.  Have others seen this?  Is this likely a speedo prob
or a connection problem (cheaper I presume?)

...on a more serious note, something odd is happening that is a bit difficult
describe.  I've noticed that her steering has gotten stiffer, and sometimes is
in fact so stiff it takes some serious muscle to haul her around.  I had been
discounting this as normal low-speed/fat tire/unpowered steering, but I don't
remember having to exert this much force on her when I first got her. Also,
after a turn, she sometimes feels like she's pulling hard in the direction of
the turn I just left, but when I let go, at the most a very very gentle drift
happens.  After thinking about it, I believe that there is now a 'soft zone' in
the steering, so that although the car has returned to straight, it hasn't
necessarily returned to the same wheel position, so I am holding the wheel at
some non-stable but non-turning wheel position that is different from the last
'center' and thus feel like it's 'pulling.'  What gives? I looked for obvious
blockage at the parts of the steering I could see without yanking stuff, but
no joy...could something simple like 'needs grease' cause this?

-JBZimmerman!
...she goes in for new suspension and bodywork this month, hoooray! :-)