BMW moves up launch of new MG Roadster

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: BMW moves up launch of new MG Roadster
From: garyb@iotek.ns.ca (Gary Burrell)
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 1994 15:44:00 -0400
Well, the dust appears to have settled enough on the BMW takeover of Rover,
now let the rumor mongering begin.  I don't know if this is new news or
old,  I just saw it in a magazine the other day.

Apperently BMW who know owns Rover has decieded to move up the launch of the
all new production MG (not the RV8) to the spring of 95.  (Apperently the date
is for some Auto show).  Anyway the facts are (It was written in a magazine
so it must be so :) the new MG who's body is being produced by the same people
who made the bodies for the Aston Martin DB7 (I think actually the article is
at home so I'm going from memory), will be a mid engine job powered by one of
two engines, one turbocharged and one not.  It will be a roadster with a price
of apx 14,000 pounds.  Apparently this is in the same ball park as a Miata in
the U.K.  BMW apparently likes the MG and sees it good fit for the lower cost
sports car market, and since it will not be in the same market as BMWs own
two seater (to be manufactured in 95 in the U.S.), they appear to be keen on
promoting the product.

Anyway any one heard any more about this.  Does BMW intend to market this car
in North America.  (i.e.  Canada and it's neighbor to the south :)  If so what
is it expected to sell for here as Miatas here don't go for 14,000 pounds (apx
($28,000 Cdn $20,000 U.S. Our $ has taken a bath lately, it causes our american
subcontracter to cry every time he gets paid :)

Well any one got any good tidbits,

                        Gary Burrell