RE: accomplishments (1974 midget troubles)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: accomplishments (1974 midget troubles)
From: "Alan Legerlotz .OSI Applications. dtn 226-5744" <legerlotz@smaug.enet.dec.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 94 10:05:51 EDT

>>I messed with carbs some more and it is definately a flakey butterfly
>>plate not sealing properly...therefore its allowing air to be sucked through
>>causing the high idle. It currenly idles around the 2000 rpm mark...
>>time to get a new carb body from somewhere!

You probably don't need to get new carb bodies, but just get new throttle
shafts.
Take out the old ones and see if they're worn.  If they are, then you might get
by with new "standard" shafts.  If your existing shafts aren't too bad, then the
carb body is probably worn, and you should try some oversized shafts.  Moss
sells
both types.

I would also advise, since you'll have the carbs apart, anyway, replacing those
butterflies with the solid type (no spring).  I assume that you don't have the
air pump and associated other stuff hooked up.  If you DO have that stuff
installed, stick with the butterflies you have.

>>Also, I was going to replace the flasher realy thingy for the turn
>>signals. The haynes says it's ;located behind the right hand side of the dash.
>>I wish they would be more specific....I couldn't see it and wasn't about
>>to tear the dash board off! Does any body know where this is on a 74 Midget?
>>Also how does the dash come off?? Again the crappy haynes says there are five
>>or siz screws on the front of the dash holding it on...I have no holes or
>>screws!!! I can't see how it's held on.

There flasher should be on the back of the dash, held in a little clip.  You
shouldn't need to take the dash off to get to it.  Just stick your head in the
passenger foot well.  If you have the glove compartment installed, this will
block your view.  You will probably need to remove that to see.  Try feeling up
there with your hand, or use a mirror.  You may also have one under the
console.
This is part of the flasher/hazard light circuit on the 1974.

>>Misfiring: now the carbs been cleaned it's running a lot smoother (even if
>>it's idling at 2000rpm!). I think it was a combo of filthy carbs sticking
>>and dirty air cleaners. I'm replacing the air filters tomorrow because I can
>>still make her stumble a little if I slam my foot down. The stumble sounds
>>exactly like when I have the choke out when shes already warm...i.e.
>>to rich a mixture...therefore not enough air flow at sudden opening of the
>>throttle.

Until you fix those throttle shafts you will NEVER be able to get the car to
run
right.  I played around for a year on my 1974.  It had lots of little problems,
throttle shafts included.  Mine weren't as bad as what you're describing,
either.
As it is, you'll be able to tune the car to either drive or idle (if you're
lucky) but probably not to do both well.  Change them as soon as possible,
you'll
be glad you did.

-Al