Re: no more stupid charging tricks

To: sol <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: no more stupid charging tricks
From: Randy Wilson <randy@taylor.wyvern.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1993 15:10:16 -0500 (EST)
> > Hmm. So how am I going to get my ammeter to work with one of the GM
> > alts, hmm?
>
> That's easy.  The ammeter has one side attached to the battery.  You just
>wire
> the "output" lead of the alternator to the other side of the ammeter.

There are two methods of wiring in ammeters. Method A is described above. This
puts  the ammeter inline with the charging system. It will register the amount
of current coming from the gen/alt, only.
Method B is to put the ammeter between the battery, and the rest of the car,
excepting the starter. This way the ammeter will read what is going into, or
*out* of, the battery. Much more useful, IMHO.

All factory installed ammeters are wired with method B.

  Randy
    randy@taylor.infi.net