Re: no more stupid charging tricks

To: wyvern!parc.xerox.com!cak@hoosier
Subject: Re: no more stupid charging tricks
From: Randy Wilson <randy@taylor.wyvern.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1993 18:18:54 -0500 (EST)

>       Nope.  You throw out the regulator box.  The single-wire alternator has
>       regulator built into it. That's what makes it single-wire!
>
> By just hooking up to the D lead, that's essentially what I'm doing,
> except that I'm maintaining all the other instruments and lamps. The
> regulator doesn't get to complete a circuit if nothing's hooked up to
> F, the cutout will always close to charge the battery, and I get to use
> the original wiring harness.
>
> At least, that's how it looks from here.
>
> Anyone done this? Know a part number that will fit my TR4A engine mounting?

Never done it on an old Triumph, but done plenty of old BMC conversions. Do
*not* leave the generator's regulator inline with an alternator. Alternators
B+ lead (where you're looking at putting D+) has to be connected to the
battery at all times. If it ever becomes disconnected while the alt is putting
out juice, you'll blow it up a *lot* faster than these cheepie rebuilt gens.

 If you want stock appearance, you can disable the regulator internals, and
hardwire bridge D+ to B+, and DF to F, inside the reg. This way you still have
the regulator, with all wiring in place. Do note that Phil's advice to ignore
the ign warning light is not sound. Self regulating alternators, such as the
Lucas series, use the small current available through the warning light to
energize. No warning light, no charge.

 If you want, I can come up with an exact wiring change/bridge for your car.
Just need to remember to check a wiring diagram at work one day

  Randy
    randy@taylor.wyvern.com