Re: companies on the net

To: sfisher@Megatest.COM, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: companies on the net
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 93 12:01:56 -0800
In message <9312161844.AA12343@bldg2fs1.sales> Scott Fisher writes:

> More important, however, is the equation that profit = revenue - cost.
> It shouldn't take a rocket scientist (and if it does, it's nice to know
> there are a couple on the list! :-) to realize that to maximize profit,
> you can either increase revenue or reduce cost.  What I was trying to
> demonstrate (particularly in the reference to electronic distribution,
> my own area of expertise) was that the Internet can be a good business
> tool because it can save cost.

Scott,
I don't think TRF going on line in the near future would cut costs because I
think that computer nerd LBC owners are a relativly small minority of the LBC
owner group.  Anything they might set up for us would need to be duplicated in
paper & mailed out to the great unconnected masses.  As a group we may have a
large number of influential members (Hope you're recovering quickly, Bill) of
the LBC community, and some of us may think we personally support TRF, but we
still make up only a small part of their mail list.

I agree very much that they, and anyone else can benifit from our feedback, and
collective knowledge and opinion, just as we can from theirs (I started this
conversation to get theirs).

However, I also think that with e-mail being one of the fastest growing crazes
in this country; AT&T, mini-Bells, cable companys & more stumbling over each
other to try to provide the mainstream future "information-highway"; The
internet being the largest network in the world and growing at a tremendous
rate, that TRF and other LBC companys can set themselves up for the future by
getting in now.  Ten years from now, Scott's statements about saving money by
not needing to send masses of catalogues out will probably be true.  If TRF &
others experimented now in a relativly small friendly environment they can learn
a lot to posistion themselves for the future.  If they can set up their own
node, they essentually can become a store in cuberspace for all to visit 24
hours a day, 7 days a week (Cyberspace? information highway? I've been reading
too many news articals lately!).

One day, most of the LBC suppliers will probably have their own shopping nodes,
I think TRF would be wise to learn about it before their competition figures it
out.

TeriAnn

TeriAnn Wakeman             One of these days, I'll be old enough that
twakeman@apple.com          people will stop calling me crazy and start
LINK: TWAKEMAN              calling me eccentric.
408-974-2344        TR3A - TS75519L, MGBGT - GHD4U149572G, 109 - 164000561