companies on the net

To: Scions of Lucas <British-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: companies on the net
From: Rik Schlierer <RGS03%ALBNYDH2.bitnet@UACSC2.ALBANY.EDU>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 93 15:15:06 EST
      VTR Chapter Coordinator - East
      rgs03@albnydh2.bitnet

      I've tried this two days in a row now and both days, just before I
could press the send key, the heartwarming, state of the ark system
here at NYSDOH crashed. If it happens again today, I'm going to get
paranoid.

      With all the discussion regarding commercial users on the net I
thought it was time to add my $0.10 worth. (Inflation is everywhere,
donchaknow?) I have no problem with companies using the net and joining
 in the discussions. Just as long as they don't advertise. I agree with
John Lye. TRF has demonstrated good citizenship, but then TRF has always
enjoyed a special relationship with lbc owners. I'm sure Moss and VB, being
national companies would exhibit similar maturity and restraint. Whether the
same can be expected of everyone who might want to join the net, is another
matter entirely.

     My feeling is that we should set some ground rules. NO ADVERTISING.
No bad mouthing the competition and no promos other than events. Although,
I would make exception for the announcement of availability of hither to
NLS parts. We have the capability and, I believe, the authority to police
this thing. If it gets out of hand, we can always tighten up the rules. I
think it would be great to have access to these company's expertise.

     There's also been a lot of discussion about on-line catalogs and ordering.
This would benefit a lot a people on the net, certainly, but the British Cars
List is not the place for this. What we tend to forget is that not everyone
in the country even *owns* a computer (Gasp! No! He can't be serious! In
this day and age?) or even if they do, they may not have access to the net.
What TRF and their competitors need to do in this respect is to analyze their
customer bases and determine what percentage of those bases generates what
percentage of their business. They will still have to print paper catalogs
for those owners who don't have computers. Two systems can get expensive.
(Personal Services being the largest single cost to any business and monitoring
the net adds PS$).

     Direct to Dana Henry.

     Dana, I would like you to add my support to your effort to convince
Charles to continue your presence here. In fact, I would like to see you and
Dave H. get more involved in the discussions rather than lurking. Your
knowledge could answer a lot of questions before they take up six days
of postings. It makes for interesting reading, sure, but I get the digest
version of the list and I can't delete individual postings. But I digress.
Charles, keep up the good work and keep Dana on line.

     OK this is it, I'm about to press the send ke...(Pffffft!)