Re: English Ford Club

To: british-cars%hoosier.utah.edu@uunet.uu.net
Subject: Re: English Ford Club
From: archer@hsi86.hsi.com (Garry Archer)
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 92 12:31:59 -0400
I've always liked English (or European) Fords too, especially from
between 1950 to 1980, since that's the time I've "grown up" with them
I suppose.

I always liked the early 1950's Prefect.  Imagine my pleasant surprise
when I saw one of these in immaculate condition in 1980 up at Dartmouth
College, New Hampshire!

One of my uncles had a succession of Consuls, Zephyrs and Zodiacs in
the late 50s, early 60s.  They all looked similar in shape and appearance
(the Consuls showed a "bare teeth" type of fronte grille, whereas the
Zephyrs and Zodiacs had more of a "upside-down 'T'-shaped grin").

I absolutely LOVED the circa 1963 Capris and Anglias.  They had those
classical American features like tailfins and "eyelids" over the headlights
and styled rooflines not found on many British saloon cars.  I'd love to
own an Anglia 105E now.  They're so unique-looking!

When the first early 60s Cortina came out I fell in love with its shape.
I dunno why, when me Dad brought one in later years it never affected me.
Tastes change.  Me Dad also had a MkII, but I never fell for that car,
it was too boxy and blah-looking.  But when the Mk III came out around 1970
I was deeply affected by its styling.  The car was seen as a business mens
car and was also heavily featured in British police drama shows (like "The
Sweeney") as the detective's standard equipment...  It was a great looking
car at the time.

The Granada came out in about 1972 (the American version is totally different)
and replaced the Cortina Mk III in shows like "The Sweeney".  The car looked
solid and heavy and as if it really meant business.  Its lines were sleak
and effecient looking.

The first Escort (1968) was the perfect Rally car, apparently.  Whenever
there was a Rally on the telly, the Escorts were winning.  The styling showed
off soft curves and a front grille and headlights that seemed to growl, "Get
outta my way".  The MkII and later variations were boxy and never quite as
popular.

The Ford that really dug into my soul though was the later Capris, coming
out again in about 1969.  The long bonnet and short boot deck gave it the
appearance of a racer.  I loved all the subsequent Mks too, albeit Mk I
(the 1969-74 version) was always my favourite.  And so it was, my very
first car of my very own was a 1972 Ford Capri 4-cyl 2000 cc.  I loved it
and to this day is still my favourite car I've owned so far.  I also owned
a 1976 Ford Capri V6 2.8 Litre MkII "Black Cat".  A great car when I didn't
need fixing...

Garry Archer Esq.       archer@hsi.com
3M Health Information Systems,  Wallingford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"An Englishman never enjoys himself, except for a noble purpose." - A.P.Herbert