Re: Corrections to British <-> American Terms

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Corrections to British <-> American Terms
From: grif@win.icl.co.uk (Phil Griffiths)
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 92 10:28:30 BST
Hi,
  more wasted bandwidth ...

archer@hsi86.hsi.com wrote:
>       British                         American
>       -------                         --------
                lots deleted
>       Tonne (2240 pounds)             Ton (2000 lbs)

In the UK there are two ``tons''.

The metric-ton, the tonne   is 1000 Kg i.e. about 2204.6 lbs
The ton, sometimes long ton is 2240 lbs
The US ton is known as:
The short ton               is 2000 lbs (which isn't used much)

On indicators.
My mum (who is French) calls or called indicators trafficators
but she's the only person I know of who uses this term.

I remember that when I was a kid we had a drop-head(1) moggie-minor(2)
which had semaphore indicators located in the side frame
in between the front and rear doors.  These things were useless since
they were almost impossible to see, tended to seize into the closed
position.

(1) drop-head is one of the many synonyms for a
        rag-top, convertible, roadster etc..  Though at least
        on this side of the Atlantic there seems to be certain
        cars that are rag-tops other are roadsters (Jag E types
        for example), others that are convertibles.
(2) In case anyone doesn't know, a moggie-minor is a Morris Minor,
        which is very similar to the Morris 1000 but with the original
        Nuffield side valve engine, 850cc I think, and so gutless that,
        as my Dad would put it, it couldn't pull the skin off of a rice
        pudding.  He also remembers having to solve differential
        equations in his head whenever he wanted to overtake something.

The mini (a '63 non-wooded estate) I am driving today (202000+ miles
heavily repaired but unrestored) replaced the moggie-minor in 1965 when
it failed its MoT test with terminal chassis rot, though if my Dad and I
knew as much then about keeping old cars running as we do now we would
never have had to buy the mini!

Phil Griffiths.