Re: Corrections to British <-> American Terms

To: british-cars%hoosier.utah.edu@uunet.uu.net
Subject: Re: Corrections to British <-> American Terms
From: archer@hsi86.hsi.com (Garry Archer)
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 92 14:02:23 -0400
Andrew C. Green writes:
> Next, I got nailed for "semaphore";
> tj@alpine.b17a.ingr.com (T.J. Higgins) writes:
> > I thought the proper name for this device, on the UK side of the
> > pond, was "trafficator."  In the U.S., a turn signal is a turn
> > signal, whether it be a blinking light, a mechanical lever sticking
> > out from the side of the car, or an arm stuck out the window.
>
> Agreed; don't know where I got "semaphore" from. I'm trying to weasel out
> of the blame for this by laying it on my uncle, who I think called them
> semaphores when introducing me to his '49 Alvis TD.

Argh!  Our Internet connection was "Lucasised" last night so I think I
didn't get the original posting.  Since we were reconnected all kinds of
stuff is coming through, not necessarily in chronological order!  Anyway...

The British term for "Turn Signal" is "Indicator".  My wife still laughs
at me for this one!  "That bloody idiot didn't use 'is indicator!!!"  :-)

Well, as I said, I missed the original posting, so please excuse me if
these were included before.  (I'll try to skip the obvious ones.) How about:

        British                         American
        -------                         --------
        Articulated Lorry               Tractor-Trailer
                (also, "Artic")
        Capacity                        Displacement
        Change Gear                     Shift
        Chassis                         Frame
        Engine                          Motor
        Gallon (4.55 litres)            Gallon (3.79 litres)
        Ground Floor (& First Floor)    First Floor (& Second Floor)   !!!
        Hundredweight (112 lbs)         0.056 Tons (112 lbs)
        Lift                            Elevator
        Manual Gearbox                  Standard (or Stick) Transmission
        1 MPG (0.354 Km/litre)          1 MPG (0.424 Km/litre)
        Motoring                        Driving
        Moving Staircase                Escalator
        Hood                            Top
        Silencer                        Muffler
        Tonne (2240 pounds)             Ton (2000 lbs)
        Track                           Tread
        Tyre                            Tire
        Two-stroke                      Two-cycle
        Windscreen                      Windshield

Excuse me for some of the non-auto terms, I got carried away!

        Hope these help!

Garry Archer Esq.       archer@hsi.com
3M Health Information Systems,  Wallingford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"An Englishman never enjoys himself, except for a noble purpose." - A.P.Herbert